1 success

• Creator
    Discussion

tony
    Participant

Playing the full F shape bar chord.

Working on being able to move to the A shape bar but that is still some way off.

• Author
    Replies

Shulamit

Keep up the good work Tony! 😀 The F chord is one of the hardest to learn, but once you have it down, you’ll see how useful it is to have it. For example, if you have a chord progression of F-G-Am, all you have to do is hold the shape and move up the fretboard (Am you just have to lift the second finger). It’ll save you time and energy.

By the way, I have a tip for playing the A-shape bar chord that I’ve never seen anyone suggest. The trouble with the A-shape is that you have to make two bars, one full and one covering the D-G-B strings which can be really tough especially for people with small hands, like me. I discovered that I can bar the D and G strings with my ring finger and hold down the B string with my pinky and play the chord effectively that way.

tony

Hi Shulamit,

Thanks for the tip. I will give it a try and see if it helps me. Tomas suggests playing the A chord with the first finger across the D and G strings and the second finger on the B string, but I had never thought to apply this as the chord moves up the fret board. I will let you know how it works after a week or so.

Tony

Tomas
    Administrator

Hi Tony. It’s nice to hear from you. I see others have success with the idea that Shulamit talked about. Here’s a video I created recently that might help: https://www.tomasmichaud.com/a-shape-barre-chord/ Different things work for different people.