Hello, from Shreveport, Louisiana

SIGNUP-main FREE-3 RGS Community Forums (Archive) Introduce Yourself… Hello, from Shreveport, Louisiana

Tagged: 

• Creator
    Discussion

Gerald
    Participant

Hey to All.  I’m a retired architect…although still working part-time.  Had a couple years of guitar lessons where I was young, but didn’t do much with that.  Now I’m interested in learning Spanish finger-style.  So far I love Tomas’ approach!!!

• Author
    Replies

Tomas
    Administrator

Welcome Gerald.

Spanish fingerstyle is cool (if I do say so).

I look forward to supporting you with your guitar playing goals. Let me know how I can help you here in the forum.

Take care,

Tomas

Tomas
    Administrator

Welcome Gerald.

Spanish fingerstyle is cool (if I do say so).

I look forward to supporting you with your guitar playing goals. Let me know how I can help you here in the forum.

Take care,

Tomas

Welcome Gerald !

YOU dun the right thing!

Your past experience id a common story around

here. Hang with it. It only gets better

best  of  luck

Jack

Gerald

Tomas,

Prior to enrolling in RGS I had already signed up for your Mini Flamenco course.  Although in my early “youts” I liked some of the heavy orchestrated stuff, Pink Floyd, Moodies, Uriah Heap, Deep Purple, Todd Rundgren, etc.  Eagles, Doobie Bros, America, Bread, Dan Fogelberg were also there.  My current interests are smooth jazz, latin, celtic, and world guitar, ie, Ken Navarro, Peter White, Johannes Linstead, Jesse Cook, Gandalf, Armik, etc.

Any chord progressions, riffs, chord alternatives, you can weave into your lessons would be appreciated.  I have short fingers, so variations to those mean bar chords is appreciated. 🙂  I love the sound of those minor and 7th chords!!

Tomas
    Administrator

This is very helpful Gerald.

I’m working on next month’s practice challenge and I’ll keep this in mind.

Tomas-Brian-Johannes

That’s Brian Lubeck in the center, to his right is Johannes Linstead and to his left in me. We were performing in Chicago to promote our Christmas CD We Three Strings.

Tomas

Gerald

Hmm, I thought I had already introduced myself, but the prompts are telling me otherwise, and I want to get that cup, so here it goes again….. I’m really liking Tomas’ teaching methods, but my part time work is keeping me from practicing as much as I need.  At least I can listen to Latin guitar on Pandora while I work. Recently I created a station called “Ritmo & Compas” and enjoy.  Or look for Ritmo & Compas’ “Enganaita” for something sweet.

Hi Gerald

Yeh you registered before, as you know you also have been welcomed already.

Maybe it’s because Tomas is aging and being forgetful. Ya know he’s been hanging around

here with adults. Maybe we re a bad influence on him

With all that said, Your still in the right spot.

Enjoy your Cup

Jack

Tomas
    Administrator

Tomas is definitely aging 🙂

But the software baffles me sometimes…

I would love to send you a cup Gerald.

Did you get to the part in the New Member Challenge where it asks to send your address?

Tomas

Gerald

Hey, I received my cup the other day.  Ran it thru the dishwasher and it held up fine!! Then, tried some coffee in it……….and guess what?  No difference in taste.  Thought it might be more “guitary” or “successy” or something.  Guess it comes with practice… 🙂

Serious question:  Is there a preferred “action” for strings on a acoustic guitar for fingerstyle?

Tomas
    Administrator

Hi Gerald,

Very good I’m glad you have a sense of humor. Life is too short to get to serious. 🙂

About the action on your guitar. That really varies widely with taste. I prefer kinda in the middle. High enough so it doesn’t buzz too easily, but low enough to make it easier to finger with my left hand.

Some guitarist really like low action and are fine with some buzzing. I’ve also met many that go for really high action and are used to having to work harder.

BTW… I will always record the live training. No worries.

Thanks for playing along Gerald (literally and figuratively).

Tomas

Gerald

I have some experience with various tension-ed strings. But I wanted to wait for our Sage to answer first.

Tension also applies to how much punch you can get out of an unamplified guitar.

The higher the tension the louder.

Like Tomas, I prefer the middle of the road (Medium tension). the light tension are easier to play but I did not like the sound at all.

And with the high it was to difficult for me to play.

My advice is to stay away from extra high tension I have been told they can damage an instrument.

Maybe Tomas has some input on that. If I were you I,d experiment.

After all it,s your choice there’s no right or wrong.

Jack