Help with Scarbrough Fair

• Creator
    Discussion

John
    Participant

Hi Thomas, I seem to have originally posted this incorrectly (replied to myself – silly me!). I am progressing quite well with finger picking Scarbrough Fail (Solo). My problem is that I am having trouble fitting the words to the music. Is it possible for you to superimpose the words to the first verse over the music? Does the singing start after having picked the ‘Am’ and the ‘G’ (Intro) once or twice? Maybe I am just being a dumb Aussie but, try as I may, the words don’t seem to fit correctly. Cheers and stay safe, John

• Author
    Replies

Tomas
    Administrator

Hi John. It’s nice to hear from you.

When I arrange a piece for solo guitar it’s not meant to line up exactly with the words. This would apply to most solo pieces if not all. It has to do with the whole arranging process and what it takes to make it sound good as a solo piece.

That said you can certainly play a fingerpicking pattern (not the same as SOLO guitar) and sing the words.

If you’d like I can create a lesson to play and sing the song. I’d start with a simple strum and the chords, then add a fingerpicking pattern that would replace the strum.

It’ll take me a little while to get to it but I’ll move it to the top of my list.

Let me know if that would help.

Tomas
    Administrator

Hi again John,

Here’s the lesson I just created for Scarborough Fair Chords: https://realguitarsuccess.com/courses/scarborough-fair-chords/

Scarborough Fair (Simon and Garfunkel)

John

Hi Tomas,

Thanks for doing this for me – greatly appreciated. I like both the strum and fingerpicked versions. Each version – as well as the Solo – sound different.

Keep safe

John