metronome and fingerstyle

• Creator
    Discussion

Dale
    Participant

Hello everyone! I’m enjoying the library and playing guitar again. I have my eyes set on my first song to master “house of the rising sun”. I know the arrangement by heart Am, C, D, F, Am, C, E,E, Am, C, D, F, Am, E,Am, E (repeat). It uses a PIMAMI picking pattern. Some bits of it is choppy when I play and it’s not a smooth transition with some chords(that darn F). I know thats where a metronome comes into play but how do you use it when playing fingerstyle? It’s not like one click per strum like using a traditional pick. Looking for practical tips.

Looking forward to the feedback. Keep jamming and stay healthy

Dale

• Author
    Replies

Tomas
    Administrator

Hi Dale,

I don’t think there’s one right way to use a metronome for fingerpicking. You could use the metronome to improve smoothness and increase speed. I’d probably set a metronome to one click for two notes. In other words click – P I, click M-A, click M-I, and so on.

Tomas
    Administrator

Hi Dale I too have l taken a break for one reason or another and come back. It’s fun but can be frustrating. In my case I was relearning things. I think the best Idea is don’t stop 🙂

Jack

Dale

You’re definitely right on that one. I look back on points where I may have been stuck or needed to push through, but didn’t. It just leaves me wondering where I would’ve been by now if I had just kept going. Lesson learned, enjoy the journey buddy.

Dale

Thanks for your quick feedback. I will implement it and let you know how it went