Metronome usage

Tagged: 

• Creator
    Discussion

Dale
    Participant

Hello I’m semi-new to the guitar world. I know just enough to frustrate myself lol. My question is how does one use a metronome while fingerpicking? It’s easier to figure out when your strumming a chord. But if your doing an arpeggio and trying to keep time/rhythm it gets a bit more complicated (or at least in my head anyway). Thanks in advance for any answers or guidance provided.

• Author
    Replies

Yes it’s more complicated.
    I set it for the down beat.
    ex 4/4 time I set it for 4 beats per measure.
    I’m sure others might do it differently.
    I think this helps me keep time
    because it’s the basic timing of the measure.
    Jack

Tomas
    Administrator

I created a quick “on the fly” exercise to get you going (iPhone quality in my office).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_ReUgMfv7o

I’d be glad to create a more structured lesson and add to the website if you think it would be helpful. If so add it to the Lesson/Course Request section with a few details on what it would look like for you.

Tomas

Dale

Thank you both for your input.  So it really depends on the time that the song was created in. Fingerpicking makes things more complicated but I’m excited to play this way as opposed to strumming.  A basic lesson on this would be great Tomas

Tomas
    Administrator

Just put it on my list…

Any suggestions what to call the lesson? Maybe “Using a Metronome to Improve Fingerpicking”… or something like that?